Main Features of the 83 Mariner:
- The cylinder cover is great for use on trucks, tractor trailers, trailers etc. where you want to make sure that chemicals or dirt cannot get into the cylinder.
- Pearl-Nickel-plated brass body for great corrosion resistance similiar to stainless steel
- Nano-protect plated hardened steel shackle with 5/16" diameter made out of special alloy for great corrosion and cutting resistance
- Only the adapters are included. Cylinders are not included!
- Adapters (included) work with most KiK/KiL cylinders including Sargent, Schlage, Mul-T-Lock, Medeco, Ilco and no name cylinders with Schlage setup.
- Ideal for severe weather conditions, like coastal areas or marinas
The ABUS 83 Series is the leading rekeyable padlock around the world today. There are several advantages for the end-user and the locksmith alike.
Advantages for locksmiths:
- Quick shackle change feature
- The shackle can be changed in seconds with a quick shackle change tool or slightly modified screw driver
- Finally the Z-bar is symmetrical. If you add the Z-bar into the lock, the lock becomes key-retaining. Without the Z-Bar the lock is non key-retaining.
- Most versatility - lowest stock with maximum applications
- You can use any shackle for this lock, may it be brass, stainless steel shackle, or hardened shackle with nano-protect coating. You can use the same shackles for the SFIC (small format interchangeable core) version, aluminum body version, and shrouded shackle version as long as the shackle diameter is 5/16" and it is not the weather protect series.
- Works with most KiK or KiL cylinders with the adapter, which basically enables this padlock to work with any commercial locking solution.
Advantages for the end user:
- The ball bearing locking mechanism that provides a very high pulling resistance. That means that it will be very difficult for any attacker to pull or lever the shackle open.
- The ABUS 83MAR/45 has a 5/16" shackle diameter, which provides good cutting resistance. If you need extremely high cutting resistance (high security) it is better to look at the 83/50 or the 83/55.
- The lock can be rekeyed as many times as necessary. That saves money in case that a facility needs to be rekeyed or the lock needs to be used somewhere else.
- ABUS 83 Series has been in use for over 20 years now. The series 2 has been in the market for well over 5 years with hundreds of thousands of units sold. That also means it has been tested by users and thieves alike for many years. All the kinks are worked out and the user can trust that there are no vulnerabilities to easily exploit.
- Material: the brass body provides great corrosion resistance and can take a beating.
- Designed with the commercial and industrial customer in mind, the lock is designed very sturdy with great corrosion resistance.
- Stainless Steel Shackle provides extremely good corrosion and chemical resistance, but it is much softer than the hardened steel shackle. The cutting resistance is better than the brass shackle, but not nearly as high as the hardened steel shackle.
- The high corrosion resistance is the main reason you would want to opt for the stainless steel shackle. Especially together with a stainless steel hasp or equipment, there will be no contact corrosion and the lock will keep very clean, even in usage close to a body of water/on boats etc.
- Very durable lubrication for a long lock life
- Limited Lifetime Warranty by ABUS to cover any production defects
Outside dimensions for each lock (see pictures to locate the dimensions of the lock):
Width [a]: 1 7/8"
Horizontal clearance [b]: 15/16"
Vertical clearance [c]: 1" - changes with shackle height. The 2" shackle will provide a total of 2" shackle clearance etc.
Shackle diameter [d]: 5/16"
Depth [e]: 13/16"
Height [f]: 3 1/4"
Weight [lbs]: 0.75 lbs - changes with shackle height. The longer the shackle the heavier the lock.
For our customers in California: Please observe the proposition 65 warning for this product: WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defect or other reproductive harm.