- Pinning Window
- A pin can be quickly suppressed and the core rotated to the pinning window. That allows for extremely quick dumping of the pins and re-pinning it. We have seen people pin a padlock in 10 seconds from the start to finish. The pinning window makes it much easier to insert the bottom pins. No follower necessary!
- 6th chamber access
- The 5-pin cylinder can be turned quickly into a 6-pin, by adding the spring and top pin to the cylinder. That makes it much easier for the locksmith to cover those rare occasions where a 6 pin Schlage, Kwikset, Weiser etc. is required.
- Quick shackle change feature
- The shackle can be changed in seconds with a quick shackle change tool or slightly modified screw driver
- Finally the Z-bar is symmetrical. If you add the Z-bar into the lock, the lock becomes key-retaining. Without the Z-Bar the lock is non key-retaining.
- Most versatility - lowest stock with maximum applications
- You can use any shackle for this lock, may it be brass, stainless steel shackle, or hardened shackle with nano-protect coating. You can use the same shackles for the SFIC (small format interchangeable core) version, aluminum body version, and shrouded shackle version as long as the shackle diameter is 5/16" and it is not the weather protect series.
- Works with your standard lab pins
- Works with most KiK or KiL cylinders with the adapter, which basically enables this padlock to work with any commercial locking solution. Purchase the KnK adapters separately or just add them to the lock.
- Keyways: all cylinders contain one key blank except for the EVER keyway
Cylinder Cover/bumper is available. That helps keeping your equipment scratch free.
Advantages for the end user:
- The ball bearing locking mechanism that provides a very high pulling resistance. That means that it will be very difficult for any attacker to pull or lever the shackle open. Pulling resistance is lower than for the brass version, but it is still very decent due to the Titalium aluminum alloy used for the body.
- The ABUS 83AL/45 has a 5/16" shackle diameter, which provides good cutting resistance, which is somewhat diminished by the softer brass material of the shackle. If you need extremely high cutting resistance it is better to look at the 83/50 or the 83/55.
- The lock can be rekeyed as many times as necessary. That saves money in case that a facility needs to be rekeyed or the lock needs to be used somewhere else.
- ABUS 83AL/45 has been in use for over 5 years now. That also means it has been tested by users and thieves alike for many years. All the kinks are worked out and the user can trust that there are no vulnerabilities to exploit easily.
- Designed with the commercial and industrial customer in mind the aluminum body provides decent corrosion resistance and can take a beating.
- If you choose the brass shackle it can come to contact corrosion with the aluminum body where the anodiztion wears off. However, the brass shackle will provide you with spark resistance. One of the reasons why the US Military opts for brass shackles a lot of times.
- Very durable lubrication for a long lock life
- Limited Lifetime Warranty by ABUS to cover any production defects
Outside dimensions for each lock (see pictures to locate the dimensions of the lock):
Width [a]: 1 7/8"
Horizontal clearance [b]: 15/16" - varies by shackle height
Vertical clearance [c]: 1"
Shackle diameter [d]: 5/16"
Depth [e]: 13/16"
Height [f]: 3 1/4"
Weight [lbs]: 0.65 lbs
For our customers in California: Please observe the proposition 65 warning for this product: WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defect or other reproductive harm.