The KS hardened security chain is high quality tempered steel. The cover is basically a very durable nylon tube, offering scratch protection to your equipment and to the corrosion protective plating on the chain.
Usage and suitable padlock
The 12KS is a high security chain. It will beat a cable every time and is well suited for any gate or toy lockup. It is recommended to use with a 2-1/2" wide padlock with a hardened steel shackle. Everybody we have observed were unable to cut this chain by hand. At this stage you have ruled out any criminal that does not have a grinder (in which case only an alarm will help you). This chain is used in high quality motorcycle locks as well (see below for more information).
We recommend the 12KS (1/2" diameter/cross section) for gates, trailers, ATVs, Motorcycles and multi purpose locking off and on the ground.
For the ultimate security alternatives look below.
- Security chain made of special hardened steel
- Top security against all types of aggressive attacks
- Fabric sleeve prevents paint work and chrome from damage
- Chains in barrels: customized lengths available
Why is quality extremely important for hardened steel products?
The multi-stage tempering process ensures that the chain is not too hard. Hardening is a real art. Not only does the special alloy steel need to be highly controlled, but through thousands of hours the skill of the factory is honed. Timing is critical. If the chain would be hardened too long or too hot, that would make it brittle (think of glass shattering). If it is not hardened enough, it will be soft like the chain you can buy at your local hardware store. Rigorous quality assurance processes for incoming and outgoing product is essential.
We have personally seen and performed Rockwell testing and it very important to be diligent with every batch. That is why you do not want to go the cheap route, you would be better off just buying the cheap soft chain from the hardware store.
ABUS is one of the biggest bike security manufacturers in the world, and their bike chain comes from the same factory, securing everything from a kids bike to a $50,000 Custom Harley Davidson.
- We recommend the 10KS (3/8" diameter/cross section) for gates and multi purpose locking off the ground. Without the leverage of the ground, it is virtually impossible to cut even with 5' bolt cutters.
- If the potential thief would have more time and is in not well lit spot or you want to visually deter the attacker as well as making absolutely certain that the chain is not the weakest link in your security then we recommend the 14KS chain ( 9/16" diameter/cross-section respectively)
Custom lengths are available up to 63' (look for bulk chain on this site) with or without sleeve.